Saturday 2 April 2011

The Tutorial 25.03.11

Notes I took from the tutorial with tutors on the 25th
I had somewhat come to a halt with designing because I was struggling with the concept of working ‘spatially’ and I felt that I had lost my intention for the project. I was beginning to feel uninspired and stuck…

What does it mean to ‘design spatially’? What is ‘Spatial Design’?
            Spatial Design: It concerns the relationship of people to environments - how do people move and interact with the space?

The notion of design and spatial (space)
The notion that people, design and environments are all connect together is the primary idea behind spatial design.  It represents an active response toward the creation of efficiently operating environments that serve the purposes and needs of people. 

Therefore, it suggests that I need to explore the emotions I want the customer to feel as they are moving throughout my space and start designing what the room looks like and the type of things that will go inside it.

How can I create innovative and interesting spaces without sticking to the original/given layout of the three tunnels?
            It was suggested that I tear pieces of paper (that are roughly to scale) to create ‘spaces’ or ‘rooms’ and arrange those different pieces to form new layouts.

Other things to consider:
  • When arranging/designing rooms that require pipes or water connections (i.e. toilets or kitchens), these should all be placed on similar walls to avoid having piping all over the room.
  • I need to clarify the ‘story’ of my restaurant, by illustrating through words/drawings/collage/photos etc what is happening in each tunnel and how the customer moves throughout.
  • I also need to take into consideration how the space is used by the passer by, the waiter, the chefs and the customers. How do these people move about the space? How do they feel when moving through? How does the space affect the way the user moves?
  • Spatially I need to consider levels, so that the activity is not concentrated to the floor of the tunnel; this could be achieved through the use of ramps, slides, stairs etc

With thanks to Harriet for making a clear initial ‘To Do’ list, to help me focus on what I should be aiming to achieve:
*Design arrival point to the building
*Design arrival point to the restaurant (tunnels)
*Think about the journey around the space
*Think about the idea as a sequence of events of experiences, rather than a stage set.

No comments:

Post a Comment